FB HEADER

Search The Rusted Garden Journal: Just Enter a Key Word or Phrase

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Storing Tomato Seeds: Heirloom Seeds Packed for 2013


On the cold days when there is little to do in the garden, it becomes time to work on inside projects. I saved a lot of tomato seeds this year for the 2013 season. This morning, I packed them away for the winter.

Tomato seeds can maintain their viability for years. I have had tomato seeds last 4 years. The key is to make sure you store them in a cool place and keep them in air tight containers. Here are the pictures of how I store my seeds. The seeds are kept in pill type containers I bought at a craft store. The individual containers then go into another large container that closes tightly. You want to keep the air out. Seeds have a bit of moisture in them. If that dries out. The seeds won't be viable.


My 2013 Seeds Stored After Fermentation - The Rusted Garden Blog
Tomato Seeds in Air Tight Containers -The Rusted Garden Blog
Tomato Seeds Stored Until 2013 - The Rusted Garden Blog

For the curious that is a bag of Stevia seeds. I grew that this year for the first time. The original seed pack was $3.50 or so for about 10 seeds. I hope to save a little money and sell Stevia plants at my plant sale next year.

Here is the video of how you ferment tomato seeds and why this process is needed.




Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit The Rusted Garden's YouTube Video Channel
Follow The Rusted Garden on Pinterest